Sunday, August 29, 2010

Catch-up & flash forward

Hey all!

Sorry that I was unable to update my blog during my summer trip to Egypt. My trip was absolutely incredible, but internet access was really limited. We spent six weeks traveling around Cairo, Alexandria and Hurgada (a town on the Red Sea). We met so many incredible individuals and were able to see so muchwork being done in the country! I would love to talk to you about my trip. Call me or e-mail me for details!

Today is the last day of my orientation. I am in Stony Creek New York with 90 other YAVs (Young Adult Volunteers) serving both nationally and internationally this upcoming year. It has been incredible getting to know other young adults choosing to spend the next year of their lives serving everywhere from Miami and Chicago to North Ireland and India. Tomorrow I depart for this year's home in Hollywood!

My work in Hollywood is a bit more clear. I will be living in a predominately Latin American neighborhood at a community center that has a 30 year relationship with the community. I will be living with five other volunteers Alayna, Brady, Robert, Kyle and Josh. Together we will run the community center's tutoring program, community garden (the neighbors want more peppers next year; I want cooking lessons!) and fellowship times at the center. In the summer we will frequently load up our community van with kids and drive to the beach to hang out and build relationships. I will also be working 32 hours a week as a case worker with Alegria. Alegria is a ministry in Hollywood that serves families who were previously homeless and have at least on family member affected by HIV or AIDS. The ministry provides these families with transitional housing, health care, and works to equip these families in the transition back to housed society (to the best of my understanding) 16 families are currently housed in our facilities. I am excited and also intimidated by the work expected of me at the agency. Please keep this ministry in your prayers.

I really don't know what God has in store for me in Hollywood, but I truly feel that He has called me to serve here. I don't have plans for after my year of service, but for once I'm not concerned. I am just really excited to see where life is taking me right now. It's going to be a crazy, emotional, exciting journey.

Thanks,

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment