Sunday, May 9, 2010

Crazy

Hey Everyone!

My life has been pretty crazy lately. In just the past few weeks some major changes have taken place. I learned that my previous summer plans to travel and do mission work in Puerto Rico through the New Wilmington Mission Conference had fallen through and that I am instead serving in Egypt for six weeks. This is overwhelming, surprising, and exciting all at the same time. I know nothing about the language, culture or religion, but am trusting that there will be something for me to do. My team still does not know exactly where we will be staying or how we will be serving. This is definitely a lesson in patience and trust. I will be leaving for Egypt in less than a month now!

More recently, I have been completing the interview process to spend a year in service as a Young Adult Volunteer (YAV) through the Presbyterian Church. This is my reason for starting this blog. I will soon be placed in either Hollywood, California or Miami, Florida. Ironically, I hate heat (I love the Western PA weather!) and after visiting both places on different trips, swore that I would never live in LA or the state of Florida. God has some sense of humor! Both locations are absolutely incredible, and have so much to offer. (Check them out yourself at http://www.doornetwork.org/) In both cities I will living with other Christian volunteers in the program, have an opportunity to speak and improve my Spanish on a daily basis, and serve in a health clinic for the impoverished from the community. I am so excited! This is such an incredible opportunity for me, and gives me time to pray and discern where my life is taking me. I will be using this blog to keep you all updated on my year of service, and where it takes me.

I do however need help. As much as I hate to be dependent on others, I am asking for support for this year of service. I need all of your prayers and support; I will be far from home. I also need to raise $6,5oo for my year of service, and if possible, I would love your help.

Thank you so much!

-Alex Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment